Does the warm weather have you eager to spend more time outdoors this spring and summer? If so, you’re not alone! More homeowners are choosing to spend money on upgrading their outdoor spaces at their Katy homes. Now only does this allow for more enjoyable time outside, and better ways to entertain guests, but it also increases curb appeal and your Katy’s home value!
As your Katy real estate agent, allow me to share some of the results of a recent Houzz survey, where they surveyed more than 750 homeowners who are currently or who recently upgraded their outdoor space. Here are the results of what is trending right now!
- Most major outdoor projects occur in the backyard at 70 percent, but 30 percent are updating their front yards and 30 percent their side yards.
- Front yard upgrades mostly consisted of curb appeal projects. This broke down to 41 percent flower beds and borders, 34 percent shrubs, 25 percent perennials, 17 percent trees and 12 percent porches and verandas.
- Backyard upgrades mostly consisted of outdoor living element upgrades, which made up 88 percent of the upgrades. These consisted of 43 percent lounge furniture upgrades, 38 percent fire pits, 35 percent string lights for improved ambiance, 34 percent dining furniture, and 27 percent added benches.
- Technology and entertainment systems are growing more popular outside. Of the 18 percent of surveyors that are adding entertainment elements, 59 percent are adding televisions, 48 percent wired speakers, 42 percent wireless speakers, 14 percent wired charging hubs for electronics, and 11 percent wireless charging hubs.
- The costs varied significantly in this particular study, with more than half of the homeowners spending more than $10,000 on their upgrades, but one-third of respondents spending less than $5,000. Of course, these are surveyors from Houzz, a home-improvement website, so these particular respondents may be prone to spending more on renovations.
- Post-project, most respondents said they are spending more time outdoors, and enjoying that time more. Sixty-seven percent said they’re spending more time outdoors, 63 percent said their relaxing/resting more, 52 percent are gardening more, 51 percent are entertaining more, and 26 percent are enjoying more family time.
While major outdoor upgrades aren’t for everyone, there are simple ways to improve your outdoor space as well. You could add a patio or deck if you don’t have one, or re-stain the one you do have, and upgrade or add patio furniture. Add some annual flowers to pots if you’re not into gardening, or add mulch around trees and walkways for a burst of color. Repaint your front door or garage door, and power wash your siding. Keep your lawn green and mowed.
Every little bit helps, especially when it comes time to sell! When you’re ready to sell, buy or both in the Katy real estate market this spring, don’t hesitate to contact me. The time to act is now! As your Katy real estate agent, I can answer your questions and guide you through the home-buying and/or home-selling process. All you have to do is contact me!